The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote1010%Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote1040%Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote100%Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote1010%Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote1020%Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote100%Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  IVIBanner4Kopie

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.

Go down

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Empty Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.

For reasons that I cannot fully explain, my mind has been taken by the city of Pripyat, Ukraine, or better known as the city which housed the Chernobyl reactor. For those of you who are unaware, about 24 years ago, there was a terrible accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant which led to death of 52 people. (Later, the explosion accounted for the deaths of 4000 people.) While I was aware of the nuclear disaster, I had never stopped to ponder the city around the nuclear reactor.

I found out that this city of 50,000 was evacuated about three days after the accident, completely emptying the town. The Soviet government was not entirely truthful about the scale of this nuclear disaster, and led many to believe that the evacuation was temporary and that everyone would soon be able to re-enter the city. Due to their belief of a quick return, many left their most prized possessions within the town.

The city was never opened again. I suppose this is the fact which intrigued me the most, the entire city became a ghost town over night. It is the best example of a post-apocalyptic city that I have ever seen, and because of the way the city was emptied. There are still chairs within classrooms, cups upon coffee tables, and cars within parking lots. It's as if a piece of the citizens of the town never left the city, as evidence of their presence is strewn throughout the town. In the past twenty years, buildings throughout the city have begun to deteriorate as vegetation has begun to claim the city.

I think I would one day love to visit this place, to feel the traces of human souls which still move throughout Pripyat. I am unsure, but lost cities are something which have always drawn my interest.

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Tree-building

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Pripyat-3

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Pripyat-today

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Abandoned-city-2

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Chernobyl_Ferris%20Wheel

This picture has kind of an interesting story of its own, This ferris wheel was going to open about three days before the disaster, however, it would never be used due to the explosion.

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Building

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Chernobyl-Photos-school1

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Chernobyl-today-a-creepy-story-told-in-pictures-hospital1

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City.  Chernobyl-today-a-creepy-story-told-in-pictures-school6
Donald Williams
Donald Williams
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : Life, Writing, Women ;), History, Debate.
Registration date : 2008-06-19

https://the-gathering.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Pripyat, Ukraine- The Abandoned City. :: Comments

Cjanz

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:53 pm by Cjanz

I would absolutely love to explore this place...provided the radiation doesn't end my life.

Back to top Go down

JakeTheSnake

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:57 pm by JakeTheSnake

Something about those amusement park pictures is especially depressing.

Back to top Go down

Cjanz

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm by Cjanz

There's a certain allure in it's abandonment. It is desolation in its purest form.

Back to top Go down

bigdaddyt

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:11 pm by bigdaddyt

I think it would be amazing to find stuff but, the fact that it would depressing ways alot in the descision to explore or not.

Back to top Go down

Donald Williams

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:17 pm by Donald Williams

bigdaddyt_kansas wrote:I think it would be amazing to find stuff but, the fact that it would depressing ways alot in the descision to explore or not.

I feel an emotion that is rooted deeper than depression when I see these images, it is if life itself has stilled within these frames, I see a city lost in time, possessing nothing but fading memories within this forgotten city. Imagine if you were forced to abandon your entire life in one day and forced to leave it in muddled pictures in your mind? Think if your life was forced to change forever because of a disaster of this scale?

Thoughts like this are why this story is so inspiring to me.

Back to top Go down

bigdaddyt

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:20 pm by bigdaddyt

Yeah i agree Ben! Is this a book or what?

Back to top Go down

Donald Williams

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 pm by Donald Williams

bigdaddyt_kansas wrote:Yeah i agree Ben! Is this a book or what?

Haha, no, but it kindle the inspiration for one! This is one of the reasons why I love visiting abandoned settlements similar to this city.

Last edited by Donald Williams on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

bigdaddyt

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:53 pm by bigdaddyt

Wait where is this city?

Back to top Go down

JakeTheSnake

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 pm by JakeTheSnake

It's in Ukraine

Back to top Go down

bigdaddyt

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 pm by bigdaddyt

oh yeah ik but like thats not what i ment to say. I ment to say whats the importance of this city. and how did connor come up with this.

Back to top Go down

JakeTheSnake

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 pm by JakeTheSnake

Well a nuclear reactor exploded and the whole city had to be evacuated and they never returned. That's the basic story.

Back to top Go down

bigdaddyt

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 pm by bigdaddyt

Is this true? or who told the story?

Back to top Go down

JakeTheSnake

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 pm by JakeTheSnake

Tyler this is a true story lol this actually happened. These are real pictures lol

Back to top Go down

bigdaddyt

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 pm by bigdaddyt

Thank you! and its not funny Sad

Back to top Go down

Donald Williams

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 pm by Donald Williams

bigdaddyt_kansas wrote:Is this true? or who told the story?

This happened in the soviet union in 1986, they actually attempted to cover the entire story up. Seven hundred miles away, radiation detectors began to alarm in Sweden, alerting the rest of the world that something was wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster <- For more information, click here.

Back to top Go down

Silent_Brad

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 pm by Silent_Brad

I remember pwning newbs there on COD4.

But really, I'd love to go exploring there. I've heard quite a bit of interesting things about it.

Back to top Go down

MasonK565

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 pm by MasonK565

That would be a cool place to to look are around. It looks so, big, and empty. Think of all the cools that would be there. But yes, at the same time, some of those pics are depressing. Especially the amusement park.

Back to top Go down

VioletVenom

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm by VioletVenom

What an absolutely dire city. Reminds me of the movie Lilja 4ever...this film was set in a former Soviet Republic (unknown which one but I suspect Ukraine), and follows an adolescent girl through poverty, hopelessness and prostitution until she commits suicide..really so sad.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down