The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Samsung Galaxy Tablet Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Samsung Galaxy Tablet Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Samsung Galaxy Tablet Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote1010%Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote1040%Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote100%Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote1020%Samsung Galaxy Tablet I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Samsung Galaxy Tablet EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Samsung Galaxy Tablet IVIBanner4Kopie

Samsung Galaxy Tablet Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Go down

Samsung Galaxy Tablet Empty Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Samsung Galaxy Tablet Samsung-galaxy-tab-android-tablet

I was recently able to borrow one of these things from Kevin Honeycutt, a technology consultant at ESSDACK. He cited the experience as a chance for someone who is unbiased to evaluate its functionality, and that is hardly arguable as I do not have more than a few minutes experience on the iPad.

Now, this is supposedly priced around $600 - a fairly outlandish and high price considering its limitations and size (somewhere in between the Droid X and the iPad); so naturally, my first criticism is the size. It's too small for me to seriously consider it as a computer replacement and it feels highly unnatural in my hands. Kevin has said that they will be releasing a larger version, though, so this is a moot point - just something to consider/watch for.

Nextly, this tablet has a screaming browser. I found it to be highly accessible, functional, and efficient. Utilization of Google Instant searching and its predetermination of what you [might] be searching for make it user-friendly. There are many applications that make web browsing easier, however, like integrated framework for Facebook and Twitter. There is also an expansive array of every day applications like AIM, Skype, ooVoo, and numerous others. These messaging services make its use very convenient for conferencing of any type. This is an aspect that could very well displace the need for a computer (at least in the communication aspect).

On that note, though, there are glaring aspects of the Galaxy Tablet that will inhibit a complete replacement for computers/laptops. While the Swype/Speech-to-Text keyboard works it is in no way convenient. If you're into getting messages to people in a limited manner at glacial speeds then you're good to go. I would never trust this device to store important documents and I would never use it to create those documents (especially something involving a lot of text input). Another problem I have with the Android-Apple rivalry is the fact that Android is marketing products at the same price (or higher) with far less applications, and a very skewed procedure for initializing video conversations. The device is likable, no doubt, but there are some issues that will need cleaning up before it can truly compete with the iPad.

One thing that is impressive (but hardly susceptible to error) is Samsung's camera set-up. I have to say that recording video and taking pictures are a definite joy with this device, and that's always a perk.

With the knowledge of what Kevin uses his iPad for, another contention I have to make is that there is a severe lack of musical/instrumental applications. Yes, albeit, there are some. The problem is that they are so few and far between that you would be hard-pressed to assemble a comprehensive band. Additionally, they are dumbed down to the nth degree which makes any learning minimal.

I will, however, give kudos to the Android Market for hosting a veritable selection of educational applications ranging from elementary lesson plans and strategies to language translation (which is surprisingly interactive). Also, if you're looking for a good selection of entertaining games you would find yourself quite pleased with the selection - I know I was.

As a disclaimer, I was only able to test-drive this tablet for the entirety of two days which makes my knowledge limited. There may be many wonderfully hidden pleasures in this device, but I find that that may be the problem. It could take users quite some time to learn every out and in, which isn't necessarily something consumers are inclined to.

Last edited by Cjanz on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 am; edited 5 times in total
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Samsung Galaxy Tablet :: Comments

kevinh

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:23 am by kevinh

Thanks for taking the time to do this for me Connor. Your point of view is important to old guys like me.

Back to top Go down

Cjanz

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 am by Cjanz

Not a problem, Kevin. I enjoyed messing with it. Smile

Back to top Go down

JakeTheSnake

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:44 am by JakeTheSnake

I have been interested in getting either this or an Ipad at some point in the future and your insight will help if I decide to get one.

Back to top Go down

Cjanz

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:11 pm by Cjanz

I do think Android presents a number of competitive scenarios. If they were to clean up some of the issues I outlined, I would be very inclined to buy one.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down