The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote1010%Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote1040%Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote100%Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote1010%Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote1020%Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote100%Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? IVIBanner4Kopie

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please?

4 posters

Go down

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? Empty Can someone explain torrents to me? Please?

Post by MasonK565 Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Can someone please explain to me everything I need to know about torrents? I downloaded some comics last night and now I am paranoid. I was suggested peer blocker by a friend to stop this thing called seeding, but then he got a call from his internet service provider telling him to stop!!

Please explain to me seeding, leeching, and every freaking thing about torrents please, someone. I can kinda hint what most things are, but I want to know more about this stuff!
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male
Interests : Music, comics, movies
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? Empty Re: Can someone explain torrents to me? Please?

Post by Cjanz Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 pm

BitTorrent is not a program. It's a method of downloading files using a distributed peer-to-peer file sharing system. The programs that you use to download files via the BitTorrent protocol are called BitTorrent clients.

BitTorrent is not like Limewire/Kazaa/Napster/other P2P programs you've used in the past. This is often the biggest source of confusion for people new to BitTorrent. It's not difficult to use, it's just different. As soon as you forget about your old file-sharing program (and you will once you start using BT), the easier it will be to start using BitTorrent.

Leecher: When you start downloading a torrent you become a 'Leecher' still downloading a file, not being able to fully share it.

Seeder: The minute the download finishes and you continue 'seeding' or 'sharing' you become a 'seeder' a person sharing the full file.
A file with more seeders than leechers is preferable to be downloaded. More the people seed, the faster the file downloads. Lesser the seeders, slower the download.

Ratio: Generally a ratio of 1 is considered basic normal minimum required-ish. It means you've shared as much as you've downloaded. Below one is generally frowned upon.

Suggested bittorrent client: http://www.utorrent.com/

PeerGuardian won't fully stop seeding. All you need to do is end the seed once your file is completely downloaded. You can do this by removing the file from queue. Also, there is always a risk in downloading torrents because if they violate copyright law it is illegal. As for actually getting caught, getting rid of your seeds and using PeerGuardian will mitigate those chances but not completely eliminate them. Furthermore, for every case I've heard where someone was caught it had to do with downloading movie files. I have never encountered an issue with music or programs. I'm not sure if comics would be a hairtrigger alert like a movie is, but I wouldn't think so.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Can someone explain torrents to me? Please? Empty Re: Can someone explain torrents to me? Please?

Post by MasonK565 Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Thank you. I use utorrent.
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JJwells Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:05 pm

I am very happy with my use of it so far.
JJwells
JJwells
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male
Interests : Music, Hunting, Trapping, Internet, ect
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonK565 Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Yes, me too. I think after today, I am finally getting a hold of this now!
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjanz Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Don't go too crazy, though. As a rule, I generally only torrent my music and maybe a cheap program here and there.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonK565 Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Yeah, I am totally aware. I pretty much have my comics collection to what I want.
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JJwells Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:38 pm

AAAhh be carefull for assholes.
JJwells
JJwells
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male
Interests : Music, Hunting, Trapping, Internet, ect
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonK565 Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 pm

WHAT? LOL!
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjanz Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Some seeders are assholes, Mason, but don't worry - that doesn't effect your torrent.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TitsMcgee Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Cjanz wrote:BitTorrent is not a program. It's a method of downloading files using a distributed peer-to-peer file sharing system. The programs that you use to download files via the BitTorrent protocol are called BitTorrent clients.

BitTorrent is not like Limewire/Kazaa/Napster/other P2P programs you've used in the past. This is often the biggest source of confusion for people new to BitTorrent. It's not difficult to use, it's just different. As soon as you forget about your old file-sharing program (and you will once you start using BT), the easier it will be to start using BitTorrent.

Leecher: When you start downloading a torrent you become a 'Leecher' still downloading a file, not being able to fully share it.

Seeder: The minute the download finishes and you continue 'seeding' or 'sharing' you become a 'seeder' a person sharing the full file.
A file with more seeders than leechers is preferable to be downloaded. More the people seed, the faster the file downloads. Lesser the seeders, slower the download.

Ratio: Generally a ratio of 1 is considered basic normal minimum required-ish. It means you've shared as much as you've downloaded. Below one is generally frowned upon.

Suggested bittorrent client: http://www.utorrent.com/

PeerGuardian won't fully stop seeding. All you need to do is end the seed once your file is completely downloaded. You can do this by removing the file from queue. Also, there is always a risk in downloading torrents because if they violate copyright law it is illegal. As for actually getting caught, getting rid of your seeds and using PeerGuardian will mitigate those chances but not completely eliminate them. Furthermore, for every case I've heard where someone was caught it had to do with downloading movie files. I have never encountered an issue with music or programs. I'm not sure if comics would be a hairtrigger alert like a movie is, but I wouldn't think so.

This is all bullshit- I got caught, and this is my first post from jail. I'll see you guys in 5 to 10
TitsMcgee
TitsMcgee

Male
Interests : Outdoors, sports, weights, debate.
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonK565 Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey Warner Brothers called, they said you fucked up.
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonK565 Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 pm

MasonK565 wrote:Hey Tits McGee, your internet provider called, they said you fucked up.
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down