The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote1010%Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote1040%Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote100%Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote1010%Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote1020%Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote100%Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape IVIBanner4Kopie

Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape

2 posters

Go down

Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape Empty Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape

Post by Cjanz Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Currently, federal funds--Medicaid, for example--may pay for abortions resulting from rape or incest. This week, however, House Republicans introduced their latest piece of legislation: the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act." According to Mother Jones's Nick Baumann, Republicans want to say federal funding for abortion is only okay in cases of "forcible rape." Pregnancies resulting from statutory rape, in women who were raped while drugged or extremely intoxicated, in mentally incapable women, or in many of the victims of date rape would not be covered under this narrow definition. Abortion-rights groups have lashed out against the new bill's rape provisions, echoing the common liberal reaction found online today.

Like the Affordable Care Act repeal bill before it, few predict the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act" will make it past the House of Representatives. Still, "the fact that the bill actually reflects Republican priorities, and will almost certainly pass the House with overwhelming GOP support, speaks volumes," writes Washington Monthly's Steven Benen . Charles Johnson at Little Green Footballs is not so subtle about his opinion, calling the Republicans that support this bill "inhuman and misogynistic."

Though she writes that "there are so many things wrong with this proposed legislation, I hardly know where to begin," Shakesville blogger Melissa McEwan is particularly disturbed by the provision that does not consider the rape of a drugged, drunk, or mentally disabled woman to be forcible. She argues that this aspect of the bill "gives veto control over terminating pregnancies from rape to the rapist ... at least in cases where the victim/pregnant woman is dependent on government assistance for abortion, i.e. poor women."

Scott Lemieux at the blog, Lawyers, Guns and Money, is shocked by the Republican attempt to redefine rape in order to avoid paying for abortions. He writes:
So merely being forced to have sex without your consent isn’t the same as being raped as far as access to health care is concerned? Can we stop hearing about the Deep Moral Principles of anti-abortion fanatics now? And even more so, can we please stop hearing about how criminalizing abortion is really about protecting women? Can anybody deny that opposition to legal abortion is deeply intertwined with sexism and reactionary beliefs about sexuality at this point?
As an added bonus,this proposal would (in the tradition of the odious Stupak Amendment) not only would deny some rape victims direct funding to pay for an abortion, it would prevent them from using money from a Health Savings Account. It's an outrageous bill, and alas there will be plenty more where this came from for at least the next two years.
Kay Steiger follows up a reaction in The American Prospect with an additional note on her own blog, in which she points out because proving rape or incest is extremely difficult, "the reality is that most women wouldn't have access to abortion even if these circumstances did apply to them."

Though he admits to being "rather queasy about the whole thing," Outside the Beltway's James Joyner wonders if this proposed bill is really as bad as everyone thinks. He suggests that the rape exception to the no-government-funded-abortions rule is more of a "concession to an emotional issue" than anything because "if one believes a fetus at a given stage of development is a human life worthy of protection by law, the events leading to the pregnancy are irrelevant." He is particularly puzzled by the issue of statutory rape, asking if a pregnancy that results from consensual sex between a 19-year-old and a 16-year-old is "really comparable to one arising from being jumped in a dark ally by a stranger and violated under threat of death? Really?" In the end, though, he rationalizes that in most of America abortion is legal and isn't going anywhere. Thus, he asks Republicans: "Why attempt to move the bar ever-so-slightly in a direction that most Americans--including your core supporters--are going to find uncomfortable? Especially when you know damned well that you can't actually succeed?"

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features/view/feature/Republicans-Redefine-Rape-Outraging-Liberals-3089/
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape Empty Re: Repubs Redefine what Constitutes Rape

Post by JJwells Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:54 pm

I'm a conservative or more of a libertarian and I don't agree with this at all. In cases of rape I feel it should be the womans choice. She shouldn't have to raise a child that she was forced to conceive.
JJwells
JJwells
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male
Interests : Music, Hunting, Trapping, Internet, ect
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum