The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Singularity Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Singularity Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Singularity Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Singularity I_vote1010%Singularity I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Singularity I_vote1040%Singularity I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Singularity I_vote100%Singularity I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Singularity I_vote1020%Singularity I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Singularity EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Singularity EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Singularity EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Singularity EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Singularity EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Singularity EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Singularity EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Singularity EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Singularity EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Singularity IVIBanner4Kopie

Singularity Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Singularity

3 posters

Go down

Singularity Empty Singularity

Post by ZIMMER1994 Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 pm

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2048138-1,00.html

Please read over this article if you have the time and just share your thoughts. Rather than try and summarize what the article is trying to say, I think it would be better if everyone skimmed it quickly before posting a comment so everyone has a thorough understanding of the issue.

This idea of a Singularity is something that has captivated me since I read this article a few weeks ago, and even more so after I finished reading a novel tonight, The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton.

A few broad questions to start discussion. Do you think that this point of Singularity is a realistic idea? Why or why not? If so, do you think the changes to humankind will be as drastic as those mentioned as possibilities in the article? What do you personally believe is the future relationship between man and technology?

Singularity Singularity
ZIMMER1994
ZIMMER1994
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Male
Interests : freeing myself through unrestrained thought
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Singularity Empty Re: Singularity

Post by Cjanz Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 am

I find this extremely difficult to evaluate.

I don't know that humans have ever truly been able to predict the future of technology accurately. I do believe, however, that the idea is quantifiable in terms of capability. My only question is, does technology have the capacity to reason? It seems to me that everything at this point, though it may seem decisive, is all executable. Everything is narrowed down to algorithms that process and send information in a very specific way. We have already created robots that can assemble vehicles, but this is all so systematic.

Having the capacity to surpass human intelligence requires a means for reasoning, and I think as long as technology remains reliant on the specificity of process for its behavior that it is incapable of that.

I also find that a timeline for AI to develop enough within 35 years is fairly arbitrary. Once again, our projections for advancement have rarely been correct.

Idk, just my two cents. I could keep rambling.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spishnittlestick Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 am

But I'm not ready to be controlled by the hive mind...

This technology is still pretty far away, I think. Much further than 35 years, assuredly. Let's just wait on things like the self-driving car first, then we can do some cybernetic modifications to ourselves.

There are still technological investments we're focusing on now that are going to be bigger in the future. I'm thinking Watson-style computing systems with Star Trek like control, and a bunch of other nifty things, of course.

But really, all I want is a robotic companion, preferably one that follows Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics.

But my first choice is without-a-doubt, Lt. Commander Data Smile
Spishnittlestick
Spishnittlestick
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male
Interests : Art, Music, Technology, Veganism, Straight Edge
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.myspace.com/spishnittlestick

Back to top Go down

Post by ZIMMER1994 Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 pm

whether talking specifically about AI or not. I think what the article is really trying to get across is the idea that once computing power reaches the point that it has surpassed the human brain, strictly in terms of computing power, humanity will be fundamentally changed. I also think that it's hard to disagree with that point.

When computing powers reach the point of being super-intelligent (how crazy is it that we are looking, realistically, at a future of super-intelligent computers?) humanity will have found some way to use these machines. It's just that you broaden the range of vision on the matter and add in the ideas of increasingly advanced prosthetic implants and increasingly smaller/faster computers. It's almost like the perfect storm for a fundamental change in humanity.

I just see the world we like in now as going through so many changes that it feels like the world, in general, is just working through some major transition. Toward what ends, who can say? I just believe that Singularity will be a factor, possibly more of one than the general public is even aware of as they become more attached to their smart phones, laptops/tablets, cars, homes, all synced to a global network, a kind of global processor with multiple outputs, all supplements to human ability.
ZIMMER1994
ZIMMER1994
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Male
Interests : freeing myself through unrestrained thought
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjanz Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Yes, I can understand that standpoint as more comprehensive than AI itself. I think it's probably more appropriate to label Singularity as a superb-technology process that has the potential to, as you said, supplement our lack of accessible capacity.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum